Monday, June 8, 2009

I♥Faces: Week 22



This week is kind of a special week at iheartfaces. Instead of the normal weekly judging, we've been asked to write about a family vacation. This will give a much needed break for those who run the show at iheartfaces and allow all of us who participate the chance to share a little bit about ourselves.

When I read about the theme: "My Story Through Photos: Vacation Edition", I almost decided to back out. I haven't taken an "official" vacation in years. Partly, this has been due to using up all my leave for maternity leave, twelve weeks each for both kids, and taking up leave every time one of the kids become ill. Sure, we've had a little excursions to the Children's Museum, the local zoo, and the like, but not an actual vacation. A real vacation.

I was just going to share one of those excursions, but then decided to share with you that last real vacation I ever took.

Let me take you back to a time when our family was half the size of what it is today. Just Scott and me. No children. No diaper bags to pack. No bottles to prepare. No car seats and strollers.

In fact, this was maybe about a month or two before we found out I was pregnant.

My mother, who was still alive then, lived in Minnesota with my stepdad. She really wanted me to come see her and visit. Living poorly then, we made a road trip out of a long weekend. My mother also wanted me to bring her some of her stuff kept at my dad's house. That's what having a pick-up is good for, right?Scott and I left after working early morning shifts that day. We live in Colorado Springs. We were traveling to Little Canada, Minnesota. That's a long, long, long drive. Scott and I divvied up the driving shifts. I took the trek through Colorado. He'd take the Nebraska bit. I'd take over in Iowa. Then him in Minnesota.By the time we reached Nebraska, the sun had pretty much set. We stopped at a gas station and Scott took over so I could get some rest. No sooner had I fallen asleep that I had awoken to us stopped at a rest stop and Scott was starting to sleep! We had no time to waste. I didn't want to sleep in a rest stop and lose precious time. So, I took over. I drove all night until the sun was starting to come up. I drove almost all the way to Iowa. Scott slept, in and out mostly. I drove. It was a long, long drive. Boring and long. And I was exhausted.Scott took over for the rest of Nebraska and most of Iowa. Either way, we finally made it to Minnesota.
Despite being exhausted, I caught my second wind and we headed out to have some fun (of course, after eating and showering).

Here are a few things we did that weekend.


Visit the Mall of America.
Go skiing/snowboarding. Weird, though. I live in Colorado and up to that point had never gone to any of Colorado's beautiful ski slopes. This was my first time and it was in Minnesota, not Colorado. Self portrait.
Visited a small town near the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. In fact, the bridge behind my mother leads into Wisconsin. As you can see from my mother's expression, it was very, very cold.
The weekend was too short. I didn't want to say good-bye to my mother. The next time I saw my mother, we were both pregnant and she was getting ready to move back (my stepdad was preparing to serve a tour in the Middle East).


Our ride back was a bit more fairly spread out. It seemed quicker because much was during daylight hours and our load was lighter (no piles of boxes in the pick-up bed)
As the day faded, I took a picture of a beautiful sunset and surprised it actually turned out well.

3 comments:

WendysPhotos June 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

Great story and neat pictures! I have made that road trip several times - only, I go from Duluth, Minnesota to Colorado (I have a nephew near Colorado Springs). We have done 'sister trips' with my two sisters and I. That's the way to travel - we never run out of things to talk about, someone will stay awake with the driver and we laugh a lot! Great post!

WendysPhotos June 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

oh, and we never get an argument about making a stop for anything!

Tracy P. June 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

You were in my "neck of the woods"! I-80 through Nebraska...nothing quite like it! ;-)

Great story!

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP