Friday, February 6, 2009

I ♥ Faces: Fix-it Friday


So far, I've been having fun posting for the I♥Faces weekly contests. Well, they've put in an installment called "Fix-It Fridays". They post great tips on how to enhance and fix-up your photos, typically using Photoshop, or like program. This week, we were challenged to fix up the photo and post about it.

Before
Lacks contrast, a bit bland - needs more color, a small blemish

After

I used Paint Shop Pro 8. I've taught myself how to use the program and read up on the internet for tips and tricks (most of the time having to convert tips in Photoshop to Paintshop).

So, here's what I did:

  • Create two duplicate layers. I had the background layer and two layers above that
  • On the topmost layer, I used the Hard Light function. This really added a lot of color to the photo, which is the effect I wanted.
  • On the middle layer, I used the Screen function. Because this lightened the photo too much, I dropped it to about 5%.
  • I flattened the image, so that it was one solid image instead of several layers.
  • I used Pioneer Woman's technique on how to make eyes pop by selecting just the eyes, feathering them at a 10, and unsharpen mask (R 3.6 S 30 C 0).
  • I then did unsharpen mask on the whole image (R 2 S 15 C 5).
  • Using the clone tool, I remove a blemish that stood out.
  • Using a light effect, I adjusted the lighting on the photo to give it a darkness around the edges and highlight her face more. I didn't create too dramatic of an effect though.
So, what do you think? Paint Shop, Photo Shop or whatever other programs there are out there can be very, very useful. They can take a good photo and make them better, so long as you know what you're doing. I only pretend. :P

7 comments:

Drew February 6, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

You're doing a great job at "pretending"! :) I love what you did with the photo and really appreciate the directions you gave along with it. It's neat to see what people have done with programs other than Photoshop. It goes to show that there are many great photo-editing programs out there that can really take a good picture to major WOW!

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

Awesome job! Great of you to put the steps.

Paula February 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

I just never found the time to figure out photoshop. I downloaded Picasa and it is soooo simple. You can crop, adjust color and tons more.
You did a great job on that photo!

Unknown February 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

Very nice :)

I'm enjoying seeing all of the different results. :)

~*♥Verja♥*~ February 7, 2009 at 5:09 AM  

I love this! I like how you made it dramatic but didn't overdo the sharpness like I did...I like how you preserved her beautiful hair and kept her eyes bright. Fantastic! Love it!

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

I like it very much. Very natural and she didn't blend in with the barn.

angie {the arthur clan} February 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

You did a wonderful job with this photo ~ I love that you did it just by using an more inexpensive program as well. Wonderful!

So glad you joined us in the fun,

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP