Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Versatile Breakfast Muffins

My friend Rachael recently started a blog posting all her yummy recipes. She's a wonderful cook and she does a lot of homemade stuff. I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, but they all look yummy. Visit her blog by clicking here or looking for "Mostly Everything from Scratch" in the sidebar. She already has a few seasonal recipes using pumpkin, including Pumpkin Waffles.

Anyway, I am not a connoisseur by any means. I have to use recipes to cook and I cheat, a lot. Like my favorite, Bacon cheeseburger Roll-up recipe, the pizza dough is store bought not homemade. So, when I do make something from scratch I am pretty proud of myself.

So, this morning, Melayna was up early and I never went back to sleep (she did). After getting a load of laundry started and finishing up last night's dishes, I decided to look through my cookbooks for something I can whip up for breakfast. My only problem is that most of the recipes I couldn't do because I didn't have one or two items on hand. That is, until I found this neat muffin recipe. I had Tristan assist me, too. I premeasured everything, so he just put all the premeasured stuff in the bowl and helped mix everything.


(Versatile) Breakfast Muffins
recipe found in Breakfast & Bruch: Classic Recipes

This recipe has two parts: the basic muffin & add-in variations
Pictured is the Cinnamon Surprise Muffins


Basic Muffin

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Using a food processor with steel blade, measure flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into work bowl. Process using on/off pulsing action to mix. Add butter; process using on/off pulsing action 8 to 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  2. Combine milk & eggs. Pour over flour mixture. Process on/off 5 or 6 times, or just until flour mixture is moistened. Do not overporcess. Batter should be lumpy.
  3. Spoon batter into greased muffin cups until 2/3 full. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minute
Variations:

Bluberry Muffins - prepare basic muffins as directed, increasing sugar by 1/2 cup. Fold in 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries or 3/4 cup well-drained canned blueberries. Bake as directed.

Date or Raisin Muffins - prepare basic muffins as directed, add in 1 cup chopped, pitted dates or dark raisins to flour mixture before adding milk and egg. Continue and bake as directed.

Cinnamon Surprise Muffins - prepare basic muffins as directed, adding 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon to dry ingredients mixture. Then fill each muffin cup halfway with batter, add about a teaspoon of jelly or jam (any flavor), then cover up to 2/3 of the muffin cup with remaining batter. Bake as directed.

Noteworthy observations:
I have a standard muffin pan that makes 12. The recipe states that it makes twelve. I had enough batter to only make 7. Perhaps I put too much into each muffin cup, but seven is actually perfect for our size family anyway.
I baked it at 375 (but our oven always cooks warm for some reason). I only baked it for the minimum time, 20 minutes, and they were cooked through and not overdone.


1 comments:

Football and Fried Rice November 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

The muffins sound yummy. You should have told me you were going to the park - I would have met you! I would have loved to love on that baby of yours!!!

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP