Thursday, December 3, 2009

Project Completed

I can't believe how busy I've been lately. I also can't believe that December is here and the year is drawing to a close.

Well, I've been busy, busy, busy with school work, house work, work work, and everything else in between. I don't have much time to just sit and reflect. I don't have much time to just collect my thoughts.

Scott and I have been busy almost every Sunday completing a project. We built a loft bed for Tristan. It has been a long process. It certainly is not perfect. However, it is something we created that will last us a good long time.

I wasn't involved during the first few Sundays. I mostly watched the kiddos while Scott and our friends, Brad and Dani, worked on the bed.

Scott designed the bed using images we found on the internet as a guide. He opted to create a box that holds the mattress that was to be bolted to the frame. Here Scott is drilling the holes for the carriage bolts while Brad holds up the other side.
Once it was all put together, we worked hard at sanding it. Don't be fooled, though. I did a majority of the sanding.
After sanding it, we conditioned the wood with pre-treatment and stained it "gun barrel" On Thanksgiving, we put the polyurethane coat to finish off the bed. Scott took it apart, his mother transported everything in her pick-up, and it was set up in the kids' room.
Here is the final product. It is just tall enough for Tristan to walk underneath without having to duck. At first Tristan freaked out and was too scared to be up in his bed. Less than ten minutes later and he was going up and down with no problems. We've since put up blankets and sheets to turn the bottom area into a "house" or "fort" The kids had a blast. I'll post pictures of the children enjoying the bed at a later time.

For now, I must retire to bed. I worked overtime today so I'm a bit tired.




0 comments:

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP