Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hello Sun

A few weeks ago, I took a week off from work. For three of those days we enjoyed the great outdoors staying at a cozy cabin in southwestern Colorado. The air was refreshing. The scenery was breathtaking. The solitude (despite having two small children in tow) was wonderful. My father accompanied us on our trip which I am very glad he was there. He introduced Tristan to fishing, despite Tristan being impatient and scaring the fish away by throwing large rocks into the water. We had a good time even though it was short.

Anyway, what better opportunity to take a stab at some pictures? I mostly did scenery shots. What was amazing though, was the beauty of the sun and its effect on the landscape around us.

We spent some time at Smith Reservoir fishing. It was close to sunset. I wanted to fish. I tried to fish. But the baby was not content sitting idle in her stroller. So, I put her in her backpack carrier and took a short walk with my camera at the ready.

IMG_2404


As we were finishing up, the sun was starting to set. In the distance from our fishing spot was the restrooms. With the sun in the background and the restroom building nestled behind some shrubs, I thought the silhouette would look interesting. So I took a few photos. What I didn’t expect though, was the sun’s rays bouncing off of dust in the air creating the “sparkles” in the picture. Truly amazing.

Earlier that day, I got up early and watched the sunrise. I haven’t watched the sunrise in years. And I’m thinking before my son was born. In fact, it was during our drive to Minnesota in 2005.

These are shots from the back patio of the cabin.

IMG_2148IMG_2149IMG_2147 IMG_2169IMG_2154 IMG_2161

IMG_2167IMG_2156IMG_2160IMG_2166_MG_2171_MG_2185_MG_2190

Other than needing to clean my lens, I think they turned out well. It was mostly quiet. Except for two protective birds with a nest on the patio. And the peace was disturbed when Tristan woke up and joined me.

0 comments:

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP