Monday, December 22, 2008

As Christmas approaches...

Tomorrow is my last day of maternity leave. My twelve weeks will be up. My first day back will be Christmas Eve day. Fortunately, it is a short day. Fortunately, I will still be able to go with my dad to the Christmas Eve service. Unfortunately, it'll be the first long stretch of time away from my children besides my work's Christmas party a few weekends back. I am dreading it. As much as I enjoy my work and being there, I want so much to be with my children. Tristan is growing up so fast. Melayna is getting so big and doing so much. Did I mention that she does mini crunches? She's lifting her head while lying on her back. It doesn't last long, but she's trying. She just wants to see the everything, especially her family.

Well, I probably won't have too much time to blog once I go back. But that's okay. I'll be busy spending the time I do have with the kiddos.

For Christmas, we started what looks like will be a new tradition last year. There isn't much family left. My dad, my mother-in-law, my brother, and us. Now, I have two uncles in town and Scott has one in California, but there are "situations" there that I'd rather not get too much into. Let's say that my uncles haven't always been the greatest and Scott's uncle was only recently found by his mother. So, our little family gets together at our place, albeit very small place (we only live in a two bedroom apartment), and I cook up a storm for a Christmas day brunch. We enjoy brunch and open gifts and just have a good time in general.

So, that is what the plan is. Instead of doing an all out dinner (since Thanksgiving was plenty), we do breakfast (or brunch or whatever you want to call it).

Here's what the menu will be (unless I change my mind):

  • Holiday French Toast - I modified my usual French Toast recipe to include a few extra "holiday spices". The dipping batter is made up of eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I also picked up a pretty neat trick from a friend: after you've cooked both sides on the skillet, put the slices (I use Texas Toast) on a baking sheet and put in the oven for about five minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Blueberry Muffins - made from scratch of course. I was going to do my Cinnamon Surprise Muffins but blueberries are on sale! They are very delicious when made with fresh blueberries.
  • Easy Oven Skillet Frittata. I found the recipe in a Kraft Foods magazine. It can be found here. I did this last year and it was a hit with the family.
  • Bacon, sausage, and fruit on the side (I'm thinking raspberries and pineapples for fruit)
  • Pumpkin pie (I just love pumpkin pie, so I couldn't resist)
  • And I'm thinking of making these Cinnamon Rolls from The Pioneer Woman's site. They look oh so scrumptious. Only thing is the recipe makes like seven pans (its meant for gift giving). I guess I'll have to do some giving, huh?
My family learned well last year. They know that they should come hungry....very hungry. I guess that is one thing I took after my mother. The ability to over cook any occasion. My friends loved sleeping over at our house because my mother never let them go home hungry....never. We'd wake up to the sweet aroma of pancakes or french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, or whatever. I guess that is why breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!

2 comments:

redredsteve January 5, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

Hey Mary! Hope you had a great Christmas. How's work going now that your are back in the swing of it, more or less?

Things are still awesome at Plate. I'm still learning a ton and they are moving me up fast and giving me more responsability. They're even putting one of my creations/recipes on the menu! Pretty cool, huh?

I'll stop by soon to say "Hi" Give everyone a high-five for me. :) I don't miss my job at SSFCU but I really do miss the people.

redredsteve January 5, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

Oh... and Melayna looks so cute!!

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP