Friday, May 1, 2009

Another dress

I found another awesome tutorial for a cute dress/blouse. This one is located at Kuky Ideas here.

It is a shirred dress/blouse. Shirring is a neat method of using elastic thread and making a normally unstretchable fabric stretchy. It is very intimidating and takes a lot of trial and error. It was very hard to find the right tension and I still didn't find the right tension after working at it all evening.

Anyway, Scott left town to hang out with friends, so after the kids went down for bed I pulled out my sewing machine and went to work. I worked from about 8:30 until 11:00pm. So, it took me about two and half hours to figure out how to shirr and put the thing together.

Well, here's what I ended up with. It isn't perfect. It is probably too big for my daughter (better too big than too small. My lines aren't straight. I am still unsure about strap (right now it is just two straps sewn to the front - probably going to tie it around the neck for now). I am, however, quite pleased that I was able to figure this out by online tutorials. Besides Kuky Ideas, I found a tutorial on shirring at Portabellopixie (scroll down and in the right sidebar find tutorials - it is a pdf file so you'll need Adobe Acrobat reader - it is an awesome tutorial with plenty of pictures).

Anyway, here's my finished project (I still have to get pics of the girlie in the green dress I made last week - hopefully tomorrow):
I can't wait to make my next dress for the girlie! This is so much fun and a bit addicting.

0 comments:

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.
There was an error in this gadget

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP