Monday, April 27, 2009

Baby Dress/Tunic

So, I've been at the sewing machine this past weekend trying a few new things. Two projects were made from old shirts and one was with material I bought from the store.

I made a pair of pants from one of Scott's old t-shirts. There are plenty of examples of this on the Internet, but I got it first from Amanda Blake Soule's book, The Creative Family. Check out her blog and book here. The pants honestly aren't anything fancy, especially since I used a solid black t-shirt. But they look super comfy and will be perfect for warming weather since the material is so light.

I then made a skirt and leg warmers out of an old shirt of Tristan's. It is a long sleeved shirt and the material is a bit on the warm side, but that is okay. I used the body of the shirt to make the skirt (no pattern - just winged it). I used the sleeves to make the leg warmers. I'm not sure how I feel about this project, but we'll see.

Lastly, I found an awesome pattern at Made by Petchy here for a baby dress/tunic. It seemed so simple to do, so I gave it a whirl. I used a cute bright green fabric covered in flowers and butterflies. When Melayna becomes too tall for the dress, I can put jeans or shorts on her and it can be a cute top.

Here are a few pics of the dress. Sorry I don't have pics of my other two projects.


On a side note, Melayna has her second tooth now. It started to poke through the gums yesterday and today it finally emerged. She's been cranky but mostly due to a cold. Here's a toothy picture. I wish I got her whole face in it, but she just kept moving too much.
Oh, and speaking of illnesses. Tristan has Fifth's Disease. Apparently, it is pretty harmless. A fever (not always, though), pink cheeks, and a rash on arms, butt, and legs. Tristan's cheeks started to look flush last night but I took no notice of them. They were unusually pink this morning, but again I didn't really take much notice. Then his daycare told me that he had Fifth's Disease, but not to worry. There was another child in his class that had it about a month or so ago. Cool thing is they say it is okay for Tristan to be there which is good. He seems to not be bothered at all by the rash, too. Here's a picture of what I mean. The flash kind of subdued the rash a bit and made it hard to see. This is the upper part of his leg across the top to the inside. It was really bright when he was taking a bath tonight.

2 comments:

Football and Fried Rice April 28, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

Girl, I LOVE the dress you made! I can't even sew a straight line (sadly) - I am very impressed!

Lisa May 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

Awesome!!!! and yucky rash...ouch! And thanks for the gushing on your other post! You are so sweet..

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP