Monday, March 2, 2009

I♥Faces: Week 8



It is that time again. :)

This week is special, though. They have a beginner's entry.

So, I can enter because I said yes to at least three of the following questions:

Have you recently started taking photos or taking photography more seriously? yes
• Do you have NO idea how your camera works yet? does point and shoot count? I know only some things, but honestly have no
t clue what I'm doing.
• Are your skills average or below average? yes
• Are you clueless when we talk about Aperture? somewhat - I know what aperture is, but how to use in photography is another story.
• You don't even know what editing
means.... let alone have an editing program for your photos? this I have, this I like doing, but I can definitely learn more
• Are you willing to be open for constructive criticism from the other participants? Bring on the criticism! I need to know what I can do to improve and bring photography to another level for me.



Okay, so I qualify. This week's theme is messy. I have a few really good photos I could submit for the messy category, but they were taken a while back and I really want to be critiqued on my skills now. So, the closest I have to messy taken in the last month or so are a few pictures of Melayna trying out her first rice cereal. The funny thing is, she really didn't get all that messy. She really wasn't sure what to think of the whole ordeal either.

Well, here's my entry. I did do some touching up on Paint Shop Pro 8. I'm not entering this necessarily to win, but to get some good feedback.


For anyone wanting to give me some constructive criticism, I do have a question:
How can you effectively get an indoor shot without the flash and not have a blurred effect? I took some other pictures of her without the flash and they turned out blurry. You can see other messy pictures of her (and a few others that I could have entered but were taken a while back) here.


Check out I♥Faces here.

8 comments:

Unknown March 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

The best way to get good pictures inside without flash? Get near a window. Window light is nice and soft. (At the right time of day). I really like your picture. It has nice composition!

Ally March 2, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

Oh my!! What an adorable baby! Great photo!

Carebear March 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

I also like the composition - nothing but cute baby face to look at - and slightly off center is pleasing to the eye! I'm struggling with indoor photos without flash too. Even with a wide open aperture and high ISO, they're too dark. If I slow the shutter speed too much, blurry because babies don't hold still! My house is very dark, even at noon, so I may have no choice but to use flash indoors until I upgrade to a camera with lens that sucks in the light! Let me know if you have any luck with a new technique...

Esther March 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

I think this is the first picture I've seen where the little one actually looks concerned about the mess...or something...love the expression.

Katarina March 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM  

Such a cute picture. Try getting near a window. Or set the camera on a solid surface to help prevent the blur.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) March 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

I love the face.

Mrs. M March 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

What a cutie! Good luck with your photography! I'm working on mine too!!

Keri March 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

I just love the face behind the cereal. Such a cute little mess.

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP