Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Easy Tie Scarf

When I went back to the Joann's the other day to buy some elastic, I couldn't help but look for some other fabrics. I want to make some more baby shoes, so having some extra prints wouldn't hurt. And also having a bit thicker fabric for the soles may make the shoes a bit more sturdy. We'll see. Anyway, I always love checking out the remnant baskets when I go. Great for smaller projects and getting a good deal. I found some fleece fabric with Raiders print. Scott is a Raiders fan, so I thought that I can come up with something for him.

When I laid the fabric out at home, it was very long (on the stretch) and not very wide. It was just right for a scarf. I knew exactly how I wanted to do it, too. Tristan has one of those blankets that is tied together all around the edges. Fleece seems to be perfect for this. I got Tristan's blanket from a friend at my baby shower for him three years ago! It is still in great condition, too. It just shows some wearing from a little too much love and trips to the washer.

I thought that this idea would be perfect for the ends of the scarf. So, here is my end result:It was very, very easy to do.

All you need is:
cut of fleece fabric (the length and width are really up to you - double the width you'd prefer plus an extra 1/4-1/2" for seam allowance - add 8" to the length to allow for the knots)*
thread
sewing machine (you can hand sew if you are good at that)
pins
scissors

1. Fold your fabric in half. If your fleece has a "right" side (mine was printed, so I wanted the printed side to be on the outside), then fold the "right" side in so only your "wrong" sides are showing.
2. Pin in place along the open side - I did about a 1/4" seam, so that's where I put my pins.
3. Starting at 4" from one end, sew along the long end. Stop at 4" from the end. I did a reverse stitch on both ends to reinforce the stitching.
4. Carefully turn the scarf inside-out.
5. Flatten the ends.
6. Cut the folded edge up to 4" from the end (Do both ends). Now you'll have two flaps.
7. Line up the two flaps and begin cutting "strips" that are 1" wide and 4" long. Do this to both ends.
8. You'll have about five or six strips (depends on how wide you made your scarf, it could be more or less) dangling from each end. In pairs, double knot the strips so that the ends are completely enclose.
9. Voila! You are finished!

*You could make your scarf with two different prints/colors of fabric (one side solid, one side printed might look really nice). When you get your cut of fabric, instead of getting double the width of one fabric (plus enough for seam allowance), you just get the width and length of your scarf (plus 8" to the length for knots and 1/2" to 1" to the width for seam allowance) for both prints/colors. When putting together, line up the right sides together. Sew both long ends with 1/4" seam allowance and stopping 4" from both ends. Flip scarf inside out and follow from step #7.

This project took less than 15 minutes for a beginner like myself. The longest part was pinning in place. I might have to go and buy some more fleece to make myself one. :P

0 comments:

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP