Friday, November 14, 2008

What a mess!

I've been on a cooking/baking kick as of late. For the most part, it has been great. I've baked those muffins several times, once using the fresh blueberries variation (Scott gobbled up five of them right away). With a my sweet tooth nagging me, I decided to try a "from scratch" chocolate cake recipe. I used the one right off of Hershey's cocoa powder container. I followed the directions exactly. I used the pans it required (two 9" round). I measured every ingredient exactly (even the 1 cup boiling water). It said the batter would be thin (in fact, it was really runny). I preheated the oven as directed. What happened though, was a disaster. The batter started bubbling up and over the pan sides after about ten minutes. At first, I thought it wasn't much, so I quickly put a baking sheet on the rack below the cake pans. Then the burning smell started. The batter was overflowing all around both pans, over the baking sheet, and onto the heating unit in my oven! Ack! I was sooooo upset! The mess, the ruined cake, and I already made the frosting. What a waste! I have no idea what I did wrong.

Well, I still needed my fix (got to have something sweet!). After cleaning up, I wanted to use up the frosting somehow. I've tried out this recipe I found at Her Cup Overfloweth where it is a quick cake in a cup (in the microwave!). You have to try it out. It is so simple. Tonight was a perfect night to bust out the quick cake recipe.

Although, I have modified it somewhat (it may be because I live in a higher altitude, so the alterations may have been necessary).

  • I add just a smidgen extra of sugar (I like it sweet) and milk (it comes out just a bit more moist)
  • I mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl (after trying in the cup a few times, it is hard to get all the ingredients to mix all the way - I'd be left with some dry ingredients at the bottom of the cup)
  • I use a bowl instead. I think the wider distribution of batter allows it to be cooked more evenly and come out more fluffy.
  • I drop chocolate chips evenly over the surface just before putting in the microwave (if I mix it in, the chips fall to the bottom of the cup and it is a gooey mess

So, here's the end result of my version of the micro minute chocolate cake:


Cake fix satisfied!

0 comments:

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP