Friday, August 8, 2008

Ride 'em cowboy

So, I haven't posted in a while. Can you blame me? I'm in my last trimester. Until recently, the heat has been unbearable. Oh, and I've been really busy with work and family.

Anyway, here's my account of the county fair. I found out about the fair just a few days before it started. It is a week long event. I've never been to a county fair before, so I checked out their website. A petting zoo, a turtle exhibit, a marsupial exhibit, the chicken house, rides, food, shows, contests, and souvenirs. The weekend forecast looked sunny and clear. So, early Sunday morning, Scott, my dad, Tristan, and I head for the fair. I didn't see a start time anywhere on the site, but the first shows were at 9:00am. So, I figured that was when we'd go. It was early enough before the day got too hot and it would be too I figured.

We were able to pay our admission and get in. But, nothing was open yet. The vendors weren't around selling food. The turtle exhibit wasn't open. The rides weren't running. So, naturally, we went to watch the miniature horse jumping competition to pass the time. Of course, the bleachers were metal and Tristan amused himself by stomping on them. So, we ducked out early and check out the fair grounds. Finally, around 10:00am, the turtle exhibit was open. Not very impressive to adults, but to Tristan, it was amazing. "Look, turtle!" he would say over and over again. We hung out there until Tristan was bored with it (30-40 minutes, I'd say). At about this time, the pony ride was being set up. I know that it is a waste of money, but I couldn't resist letting my little boy ride on a pony. So, I coughed up the $5 and Scott hoisted him up onto a pony for his five minute ride. He loved every minute of it.

The rest of our day was walking around, checking out the animals (the chicken coop, the rabbits, and the petting zoo), seeing what was for sale, and grabbing a small bite to eat before heading out on the road again. We were out of there by noon. I was mostly disappointed with everything. Although, I am not going to give up on fair just yet. Next year, I'll know to be a bit more prepared and go at a time when things are open and when people are actually there.

Regardless of how much a drag it was to me (the heat and being pregnant didn't help), Tristan had fun and that's what counts. Besides, afterwards, when we got back into town, we went to Golden Corral for some lunch time buffet. Tristan's intelligence and well-behaved manners caught the attention of an elderly lady sitting nearby. I was proud of my kiddo for being so good, especially when he really needed a nap.


About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by 2008

Back to TOP