Sunday, August 31, 2008

Last week's recap

Okay, so I'm horrible at this. Sometimes I get so revved up and do multiple posts in one day. Other times, I'm lucky to get one in an week. I blame the pregnancy. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, I never posted last week's menu - but honestly, I fell by the wayside and didn't have a good plan. Come to think of it, I think I missed out on the last two weeks. Should I even bother? Wow, how horrible am I? Well, the week before I remember following the game plan. Yes, I did go over budget, but there were a bunch of non-food items (diapers, wipes, mason jars, and so on) on the list, too. Food-wise, we were within that $65 budget. Last week, I decided to use the existing meats we had in our deep freezer. All of which was pork - pork loin roast, pork spare ribs, and diced pork. Our crock pot got plenty of use this week. We had a teriyaki pork roast one night with white rice, sesame ginger ribs in the crock pot, and fajita/burritos with the dice pork - cooked in the crock pot with green chili sauce and enchilada sauce. Tonight was freezer dinner night (after all that crock pot cooking - we were needing a break) - so we had boxed pizza.

Okay, so why the unplanned week? Scott started a new shift. His work redid all the shifts and he got the bottom end of the barrel. He now works evenings - 1:30pm - 10:00pm. I am a firm believer in sitting down for meal time as a family and now that is in shambles. Tristan I think is feeling it too because the first night, he threw a major fit getting ready for bed - which he doesn't normally do. Scott was barely getting used to his new shift when his mother called with some bad news. In search for her mother (who has been missing for a decade - long story), she found out that she had passed away five years ago. Being the only grandchild and fairly close to his grandma growing up, Scott took the news pretty hard. His work has been understanding and allowed him to take bereavement leave (despite how long ago she passed away). While I've lost two grandmothers before, I didn't know what to say or do. Either way, all I can do is love him, give him a hug if he needs one, and let him grieve how he needs to. So, due to all that has happened, we haven't truly gotten used to his new schedule. He's back to work tonight and due home in the next 30 minutes or so.

Alright, now the other bum news. My dad called me today to tell me of his visit with my grandmother (I had three grandmothers growing up - my dad's parents divorced at some point and my grandpa remarried - the one alive is my dad's mother). He told me that my grandmother wanted me and him to sign some documents. She has named my dad her attorney-in-fact and executor of her estate. I am his back-up. Why all of sudden draw up paperwork? Apparently, according to my dad, she isn't doing too well. I always joked that she'd be around forever. It never occurred to me that she'd die someday. But, knowing of her situation, she is pretty much ready for the good Lord to take her away. Long story, but let's just say my dad is the black sheep amongst him and his brothers - and by black sheep, he's the good one (well off, self-sustaining, and so on). I love my uncles, but they have unfortunately, taken advantage of mom's love for a very long time. I don't even know what will happen to them if and when my grandmother passes away. Regardless, my dad (and my grandmother) feels that her time will come soon (whether it be a week, a month, or longer, who knows). I will be happy for my grandmother as I know that she will feel more at ease without life's pains and troubles will no longer bother her. I will be sad, as she is my last living grandparent, and the only one that I have been able to visit more than the others (my mother's parents lived in the Philippines). She taught me how to make chicken dumpling soup. She tried to teach me how to crochet - I was too impatient. And despite being an odd ball in the family, she still loved me. I only hope that she gets to meet her newest great-grandchild before she leaves us.

Now the good stuff. I had an appointment last week and so far, so good. I have gained less than 10 pounds this pregnancy. My goal - 11 - 15 pounds. Not too shabby, I'd say. I am on the big side weighing 240lbs now. There I said it. I am not ashamed to say it. I am ashamed to say that I haven't done much in the past to control my weight. I'm paying for it big time with this pregnancy. Fortunately, I've stayed withing the prescribed limits (for now) and haven't gotten any of the conditions we initially worried about (pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, and so on). I hope that I keep a good attitude after having the baby and make a good effort to losing the weight. I'd like to get down to 175. I think that is reasonable. That's a 65lb drop from my current weight. With any luck, I'll lose most if not all the weight gained this pregnancy. If so, then I'll have only 55lbs to work off. Breastfeeding will help shed the pounds, too.

Well, that is about it. I'll have a menu plan, hopefully, tomorrow. I have to go shopping anyway, so I better have a plan - so that I can have a list. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, have a wonderful evening and Happy Labor Day! (I have the day off - I love having banker's hours)

0 comments:

About This Blog

My name is Mary and I'm a working mom with two beautiful children. I've worked for over seven years at a credit union, currently as an administrative assistant. Last fall, I went back to school and started on a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Elementary Education.

My hobbies, when I have time, include photography, sewing, photo processing, digital scrapbook, online gaming, reading, role playing games like DnD, and board games. But what I really love doing is just being a mom to my two children, Tristan and Melayna.

Tristan, whois four, is an awesome big brother and such an intelligent little boy. He loves Transformers, animals, Dr. Seuss books, and eating.

Melayna, who is one and a half, has definitely taught her momma patience. Unlike her easy going brother, she is curious and persistent. And if something stands in her way, she will definitely let you know her displeasure. Regardless, she is a sweetheart and daddy's little girl.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP